How to be Motivated as a Self-Taught Developer

 

How you can get motivated for the long term.

Photo by Clark Tibbs on Unsplash

As a self-taught front-end developer, how to be motivated all the time is a big question for me. I am learning off and on for a few years now, with plenty of my own time, but I still feel everything on the road. Sometimes, I would feel depressed and don’t feel like studying. Actually, it’s okay to feel not Okay. Good rest and relaxation can improve our productivity later on. But how to get back on the road, get motivated for a longer time. It’s been a struggle for me during these years.

I tried different kinds of ways to get rid of the emotional jungle. Here are my suggestions:

  1. Learn from motivated people or book
Photo by Joel Muniz on Unsplash

Self-taught means self-discipline, there is a book talking about how to keep high proficiency, which is the 7 habits of highly effective people, learning from experienced people is always the best way even if you don’t have a social circle to be influenced. Reading will never be out of date. Or maybe the celebrity whom you admire. Learning from others is a forever topic, especially for a developer, not related to the age, the study background, or the position now. Believing everyone is a hidden diamond, you will shine definitely one day.

2. Join a group and try to communicate

Photo by Dylan Gillis on Unsplash

Find a development group where people who like the same topic can make you feel not lonely. There are definitely lots of development learners all over the world. We have the same journey, the same goal. When we met the obstacles, we can get help and advice from people who know our struggles. I recommend the ZTM community(ZeroToMastery) discord, including different topics and lots of members who are adorable helping each other, and the best mentors care a lot.

Or maybe some life-motivated groups to help you keep doing good routines. The motivation is the goal.

3. Make a plan

Photo by Glenn Carstens-Peters on Unsplash

If you plan to learn something, the best way is to make a plan. The proficiency will motivate your mood and results too. I think doing monthly and daily plans is the best way. Maybe you want to finish the tutorial in 30 days, and it can be separated into an everyday learning plan. You will be surprised by the result at the end of the planned day. Take a small step forward every day.

4. do something fun in your spare time

Photo by Joakim Honkasalo on Unsplash

Don’t keep doing one thing, that reduces your proficiency. Try to do something else, such as your hobby, or go out with friends. It’s normally stuck in bugs for developers, when it’s still there after a long time self struggling, time to refresh. You will be surprised after refreshing your mind. Life isn’t all about coding, actually, the fun lifestyle helps your work.

5. exercise makes you happy and energetic

Photo by Mor Shani on Unsplash

I am a kind of introverted person, sitting all day long. I think that’s the same problem for most modern working people. I was laying down on the sofa all day long with my phone or laptop. For a few days, I feel more and more depressing. I wanted to do nothing but spend time on Tiktok or other social media. Later, I feel like I get nothing but a down mood. So I decide to change to only doing exercises. Every 30 minutes is good enough for the moods and energetic body. Your body and spirit are connected. Make them roll together.

I try to make it simple.

Happy life, happy coding.

Just do it!

🚩 love sharing web development knowledge| please follow me 🥰

Popular posts from this blog

Fancyapps — easily build overlay windows with carousel

Meet Mantine: A TS-Based Open-Source React Components Library

Meet Tippy.js: The Complete Tooltip Popover Plugin